Sunday, October 3, 2010

Romantic Comedy Thoughts :)

The other day I was flipping channels and started watching an old episode of How I Met Your Mother. Now, I don't usually watch this show, but I found myself completely in love with it. On this particular episode, Ted and friends have attended a wedding. The whole episode is Ted's flashbacks of it. At the wedding, Ted locks eyes with a woman, Victoria, and they decide to spend the evening together but leave out last names and not exchange phone numbers so that they can remember it as one perfect night at a wedding. All night, they flirt, dance and talk, and even come up with the plan to "almost kiss." The plan in itself is brilliant. Victoria says that in every first kiss, it is the anticipation and lead up to the kiss that makes it so amazing, so they make up the rule that all they are allowed to do is lead up to kissing but never actually kiss. I had goosebumps basically the whole time I was watching. Anyways, after this perfect night, Ted decides that she is too perfect for him to never get to see her again, so they set out to find this woman, and after many many trial and error attempts at calling the bride, and a bridesmaid, they realize that no one at this wedding knew a Victoria. But, when they are about to give up hope, the bride calls back to tell Ted about the cake Marshall had asked about, and they realize that Victoria made the cake! They go to her bakery, and Ted sees her. When he walks in, all she says is "Thank God!" and they finally kiss.

I think we all want something like this to happen to us. We want to meet that one person who takes our breath away. The person that you see, and suddenly you know that they are special. That's why the screenwriters and movie producers make so many "Romantic Comedies," or "Chick Flicks." They always meet in some cute, memorable way (whether they hate each other or like each other), and they eventually fall in love. Girl meets boy, girl falls for boy, blah blah blah, then happy ending. And we find ourselves hanging on every word, cuddled up to our blanket in our pj's, possibly even shedding a tear (probably more than one), but the bottom line is we love this stuff, and for some reason it doesn't always play out that way in real life. Girl usually meets boy, and he ends up being a jerk, or girl meets boy, girl falls for boy, but boy has been eye-ing her friend all along. So, we stick with the romantic comedies because if that can happen to Katherine Heigl and Jennifer Garner, maybe, just maybe, it will happen to us some day.

As for "How I Met Your Mother," I'm pretty sure that this one episode alone, has made me love the whole show. I might be wish listing some DVD sets :)

If you want to see this episode, and oh you should, it's called "Drumroll, Please" Go find!!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love How I Met Your Mother. I first found out about it through Karla, and after watching a few episodes I wasn't quite sure how I felt about it. And I do, fell in love with the show after the wedding episode. Since then, I watch it all the time. :)