Sunday, September 26, 2010

Nicknames

So... Tonight my mom was telling me about a blog she reads by one of her good friend's daughter in law. I got to reading it, and she had an entry about nicknames inspired by one of her friends entries about nicknames. Since I liked her entry so much, and the idea had been borrowed, I thought it only made sense for me to carry this on by doing the same :).

Nicknames stick to people, and the most ridiculous are the most adhesive. - Thomas C. Halliburton

I'm pretty sure that almost everyone has a nickname or some have lists of nicknames. Some were haunted by nicknames, while others almost preferred them. There are all sorts of inspirations for different nicknames, some more pleasant than others. I for one LOVE nicknames!

I've acquired tons of nicknames over the years. When I was young, I was kind of a wild child: crazy, loud, and doing my own thing, so my uncle dubbed me LuLu.. My Mamaw and namesake used to call me Bonnie Blue. I'm not sure of the origin of this one, but I always liked it. Some of the more common nicknames were BonBon, Bons, and Bon, and I think one of my personal favorites from childhood was Bonster which I received from my dad. My teachers and classmates in England didn't quite understand that hair-bows were quite popular in the States, and would call me Hair Bow girl which I finally tired of after my second hair bow "Award" in 3rd grade, and stopped wearing them for many years. Some of my more recent nicknames, or at least nicknames since high school have been BoBo, Bonnet, Bono, Little Birwin (my older brother was known as Birwin), B, Bonnie Harmony, and Bones ( the most recent one).

The ones that have seemed to be "the most adhesive" :
-BonBon (or Bon)
-Bonnet
-Bones

No orator can top the one who can give nicknames. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

What have your nicknames been over the years?

5 comments:

Marissa said...

Bonnet is my faves!! I love bonnet, its who you are :)

I don't think I have any nicknames. Very sad.

Bonnie said...

Mocha?

Marissa said...

Arg. I ALMOST forgot about that one..

Sam Irwin said...

Who calls you Bones? Sounds cryptic.

Bonnie said...

hahaha Travis came up with it Sam.